ANSTHRLD - Name Check Please

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Tue Jul 25 23:58:40 PDT 2000

Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> > > Ugh. The names are variants and most likely conflict.
> > > Choice #1 (the usual fix) is to add a locative.  Wilim Penbras
> > > of York
>
> Because just because my persona is Welsh, I can't think of a Welsh
> locative off the top of my head.

Aberwyn.  Aberstythwyth or however you spell it ("banananana").
Caerleon?  Anglesey.

> Because just because my persona is Welsh, the only Welsh
> descriptives I can ever remember off the top of my head are
> bach, dubh and ban, so I hadn't parsed Penbras as descriptive.

I hadn't either, or even realized it was Welsh, until I saw that
he signed his original message "Billy Fat-Head", and I realized
that he'd translated his name.  I know "pen" is Welsh for "head",
and "Wilim" I later realized was a form of "Gwilim".

> > > Choice #3 is to slap on a second given name (Wilim Robert
> > > Penbras) which is registrable but rather far from historic
> > > practice.
> > Why suggest a second given name when we have maybe three
> > examples in Britain in period?
>
> And none in Welsh?  And you don't see me *endorsing* the
> practice, do you?

I think you ought to anathematize it more than "rather far from
historic practice".  Something like "FLEE THE HIDEOUS SIN OF
DOUBLE GIVEN NAMES IN BRITAIN!", though there's no need to get
extreme about it.

> Yeah, what Daniel said.  Wilim Penbras ap Tegwaret.  That's
> cool.
> - Teceangl Bach (and how many people look at *that* and think
> "Welsh"?)

Aw, you just like "T"-names.  And you deliberately threw people
off with "Bach", so everyone (except Harpy and Talan) thinks
"German".

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)