ANSTHRLD - Group Name Help

George Basore george.basore at scotland.com
Wed Jul 12 09:25:41 PDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 02:00:11 -0700 (PDT) Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
>> Question 3:  Is Land of Thistles an appropriate period group name?
>>
>> My own thoughts on question 3 support it as better than a lot of
>> group names I've run across.  The "Land of" part bothers me a little
>> bit though.  If it is a Canton, then it is a geographic space so the
>> "Land of" seems redundant.  On the other hand, Canton of <Thistles>
>> seems a little lacking.
>>
>> Since I will see him at Moonschadowe, any comments/suggestions?
>
>Perhaps "Thistle <toponymical feature>"?  Such as "Thistle Hill", or
>"Thistle Meadow" or "Thistle Green"?
>
>I browsed _MacBain's Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language_ at
>http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/search.html and got several Old Gaelic and
>Early Irish words on "meadow", "field", "thistle" (search by Word, not
>Headword).
>
>Feochadan seems to be modern.  MacBain references fobhannan under that
>entry and under fobhannan says, "Early Irish omthann".

  Our reason for choosing "feochadan" over other possible
Gaelic words was entirely pragmatic. All of us can pronounce it.
  I am the most multilingual member so far in Ponca, and
I'm doing my best to teach these kids what gaelic I know.
Meanwhile I'm learning as fast as I can. If anyone knows the whereabouts of a Scot'sGaelic-English dictionary, let
me know. We are using Irish because that's all we've got
                   Capt. Robt Haddock, RSN-Ret.
                      (Tony Basore)