ANSTHRLD - Fwd: Re: Society Name

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sat Jul 15 22:09:58 PDT 2000

Doug Bell <debell at txcyber.com> wrote:
> These are from Laurel's webpage.
> A lot of our folks are affected by these.

Thank you for posting it.  I hadn't thought to do it, and it was
most thoughtful of you to do so.

Please don't strip the comments from the registrations.  They are
often pretty important, with such things as "Please ask the
submitter to", and they have a hard enough time getting to the
submitter.

Please avoid using non-ASCII characters.  Unfortunately, the
never-to-be-sufficiently-damned misnamed "Microsoft smart quotes"
attacked the page, so that what ought to be a simple apostrophe
appears instead on my screen as a reverse-video <92> or \222.

Here are the Ansteorran actions from the May 2000 Laurel meeting,
in Da'ud notation.

ACCEPTANCES

ANSTEORRA

Adelicia Brabant.  Device.  Azure, in saltire two artist's brushes
argent, overall on an artist's palette Or a road-runner proper, a
bordure argent.

     While this design is about as far from period practice as
     you can get, legally it, nonetheless, does not violate any
     of the Rules for Submission.  By precedent (January 1990
     LoAR, pg. 12, s.n. Edward Ashwell of the Crossbow), placing
     charges directly on overall charges does not violate RfS
     VIII.1.c, Armorial depth.

{AE}lfwyn {ae}t Gyrwum.  Device.  Azure crusilly moline, on a
fess Or three annulets azure.

     Nice armory!

{AE}lfwyn Webbestre.  Name and device.  Bendy sinister azure and argent,
three leaves conjoined in pall vert.

     Submitted in the LoI as Aelfwyn Webbestre, we have returned the
     spelling of the given name to that used on the submission forms.

Ailitha ingen Chathail.  Device.  Per bend sinister wavy azure and
vert, a cat sejant and a cat sejant contourny Or.

Aill{e'}n Gunn.  Name.

Alana of Tallaght.  Device.  Per fess wavy purpure and vert, a plate
and three oak leaves conjoined in pall argent.

Albrecht von Landshut.  Name.

Alessandro Falieri.  Name and device.  Argent, a dolphin haurient
azure finned Or between flaunches azure.

     In the commentary, the issue was raised that Falieri was the
     plural form.  However, other surnames listed in the same passage
     in documentation are, in fact, forms that were used by
     individuals.  We have therefore concluded that Falieri is one of
     the Italian surnames that exist in plural form and registered the
     name as submitted.

Alina de la Watere.  Name and device.  Argent, a chevron sable,
overall a cross crosslet fitchy gules.

Almaith ingen Chormaic.  Badge (see RETURNS for household name).
Purpure, an apple slipped and leaved within a bordure potenty Or.

     Please inform the submitter that period apples are round at the
     base.  Also, please ask her to draw a thicker bordure.

Arabella de Montacute.  Name and device.  Purpure, three chevronels
braced and in chief a cross bottony, on a bordure Or an orle azure.

Ariella Christine d'Ailles.  Device change.  Gules semy-de-lys Or, a
lion sejant guardant argent.

     Nice armory! Her current device, "Purpure, a lioness sejant
     guardant and on a bordure argent a vine of English ivy vert", is
     released.

Caitlin nan Cnoc Airgead.  Device.  Per fess argent and sable, a
demi-horse rampant contourny issuant from the line of division sable.

     Please ask the submitter to draw both of the horse's legs above
     the line of division.

David de la Roke.  Name and device.  Quarterly argent and vert, an oak
tree counterchanged.

Dominic MacNamara.  Device.  Argent, a fish-tailed demi-dog vert
maintaining a Celtic cross gules and a chief invected azure.

Elewys Luscomb.  Name.

Elisabeth of Northkeep.  Holding name and device (see RETURNS for
name).  Per bend purpure and vert, a bend argent between three
fleurs-de-lys and a horse rampant Or.

     Submitted under the name Elisabeth de Calais.

Elspet Arbuthnoth.  Name and device.  Per saltire gules and Or, in
fess two sheaves of holly vert.

Emilie Penrose Blackwell.  Device.  Vert, a pair of scissors points to
chief argent within a bordure vairy of one trait gules and argent.

     Please ask the submitter to draw the vair on the bordure so that
     the bells of the vair are upright (or with a slight tilt to
     follow the line of division).  This would rotate the bells on the
     sides 90 degrees.  [I would like to know the reason she wrote
     this, as I would expect vair to follow the bordure. -- DdL]

Fearghus MacKenna.  Name and device.  Argent, a bend sinister wavy
purpure between a double-bitted axe and a sheaf of arrows sable.

Fran{c,}ois la Flamme.  Device change.  Vert estencely Or.

     This does not conflict with Libya, "Vert", by rule X.1, Addition
     of Primary Charges.  Strewn charges are primary if there are no
     other charges.  This has been true for a number of years; for
     example, see the September 1992 LoAR, pp. 39-40, s.n. Jon of the
     Mists.  Please instruct the submitter to draw more and larger
     sparks.

     His current device, "Vert estencely, a flame Or", becomes a
     badge.

Harold Graybear.  Name and device.  Gules, a chevron sable fimbriated
Or between three bears rampant argent.

Isabeau Quiquandon.  Name.

Ive Rathbourn.  Name.

     Submitted as Ivie Rathbourn, we were unable to document Ivie as a
     period given name.  We have therefore changed it to Ive.  The
     submitter should know that this is a male name.

Kay Leigh Drake.  Name change from Caley Drake and device.  Or, in
saltire two wolves counter-salient azure, on a chief sable three
ermine spots Or.

     Her old name is released.

Keina Greenleaf.  Name and device.  Argent, an oak leaf and on a chief
vert three horseshoes inverted argent.

Kowacz Myklos.  Name (see RETURNS for device).

     Submitted as Kovac Myklos, we were unable to document that
     particular spelling of the byname.  [Note: the byname is in FRONT
     in this name.]  We have therefore changed it to a common period
     form.

Lucien de Lorraine.  Name and device.  Per fess gules and argent, a
pegasus passant contourny argent and a Latin cross fleury fitchy
azure.

Mahee of Acre.  Name.

Marjory Macrae.  Name.

Martin Fletcher.  Name.

Meadhbh inghean R{o'}is.  Device.  Argent, a chevron vert between two
roses gules slipped and leaved chevronwise and a triquetra vert.

Melissent d'Aulnay.  Name.

Michael Silverhand.  Name.

     Submitted as Michael Silverhands, the period examples we found
     for this kind of byname were all in singular.

M{i'}ch{e'}l mac Donnchaid.  Name.

     Submitted as M{'i}ch{e'}l mac Donnchaid, we have changed the
     direction of the first accent in the given name.

Neassa the Obstreperous.  Name and device.  Per chevron vert and
argent ermined vert, in chief three roses argent.

     As Brachet put it, the byname is in the class, which while
     unlikely in history, is functionally similar to many earlier
     period bynames.  [This name registration is the surprise of the
     month. -- DdL]

Roberto Giano.  Name and device.  Azure, two dolphins haurient
addorsed argent.

     Nice armory!

Roger of York.  Device.  Purpure, on a bend Or cotised argent three
roses palewise vert.

Roger of York.  Badge.  (Fieldless) A rose vert.

     Nice badge!

Sean McConnul Duncan.  Badge.  (Fieldless) A griffin segreant
contourny queue-fourch{e'} azure.

Serena Gethin.  Name and device.  Quarterly sable and gules, a
seahorse erect within an orle of annulets argent.

     The submitter asked for an authentic 14th century Welsh name.
     However, the given name is not found Wales, so we cannot make the
     name authentic.  The submitted name is registerable, though.

Serena Gethin.  Badge.  (Fieldless) A torse wreathed of sable, gules,
and argent.

     While we have no examples of a torse of more than two tinctures
     as a heraldic charge, all the commentary agrees that such objects
     were known in period.  The rules explicitly allow items known in
     period to be used as charges, and we also use charges that were
     only found in crests in period.  Since there is good contrast
     between two of the three divisions of the torse, it does not
     violate the rules of tincture.

Stephen macThomas.  Correction of name from Stephen MacThomas and
device.  Quarterly azure and argent, six towers counterchanged.

Talmon Wilbanks.  Device.  Argent, on a tree proper two swords
inverted in saltire argent, a bordure azure.

Tane Verloren.  Device.  Azure, a compass rose inverted and on a chief
Or three fleurs-de-lys azure.

     Inverting a compass rose is registerable, but a weirdness.

Tegan Rhos.  Device.  Per chevron sable and vair, in chief two
dragonflies argent.

ANSTEORRA

Aeron Aschennen of Clan MacKenzie.  Name change from Anastacia de
Maris and device change.  Barry bendy azure and argent, a mantyger
rampant guardant Or maintaining a roundel azure.

     As noted before, Hanks and Hodges is a particularly poor source
     for period names.  According to Metron Ariston, Aeron appears in
     some sources as the name of a Welsh battle goddess and it is
     certainly the name of a river in Wales; however, no one has been
     able to find it as a given name for a human in period.
     Furthermore, the construction of Clan X has been disallowed since
     June 1998.  As the submitter does not allow major changes we have
     to return this.

     The primary charge is a misdrawn mantyger.  A mantyger has a
     human head, while this is a lion's head with a human face.
     Therefore, it conflicts with Belgium, "Sable, a lion rampant Or",
     and various others of the form <Field>, a lion rampant Or.

Alisandre Oliphant.  Badge.  (Fieldless) A rose purpure barbed and
seeded proper.

     Conflict with Alyanora of Vinca, Argent a periwinkle (vinca
     minor) proper.  Periwinkles are bluish purple and by current
     precedent (see the September 1996 LoAR, pg. 17, s.n. Rosalyn
     MacGregor) they are not significantly different from either blue
     or purple roses.

Almaith ingen Chormaic.  Household name House of the Golden Hunter.

     No documentation was provided as to why this would be a period
     inn name construction.

Derek Fallon Rathbourn.  Device change.  Quarterly sable and gules, on
a compass star argent a wolf's head cabossed sable vomiting flames
proper.

     Conflict with a badge for Anthony the Sinister, "On a mullet of
     ten points argent a pheon sable", Fine of Clare, "Per pale azure
     and gules, on a sun argent an estoile of eight rays sable", and
     Thomas von Leipzig, "Quarterly sable and gules, on a sun argent a
     two headed eagle sable, a label argent".  In the first two cases,
     there is only one CD for the changes to the field.  In the third,
     there is a CD for the addition of the label.  In none of these
     cases is there a CD for the changes to the tertiary charges or a
     CD for the type of the primary charge.

Elisabeth de Calais.  Name.

     This is a nice name.  Unfortunately, it also conflicts with
     Elis{e'}e de Calais, registered in December 1998.  Section
     V.1.a.i of the Rules for Submissions says that a given name is
     not significantly different from any of its diminutives, and,
     while Elis{e'}e is not in a strict ethymological sense a
     diminutive of Elisabeth, it is often used as one.

     Her device was registered under the holding name Elisabeth of
     Northkeep.

Kowacz Myklos.  Device.  Gules, a stag at gaze argent.

     Conflict with the badge for Sabia Gunnhild Hunang, "Gules, a
     reindeer statant regardant within an annulet argent".  There is
     no difference between a reindeer and a stag, so there is only one
     CD for removing the annulet.

Medb ingen Domnaill.  Name and device.  Checky azure and Or, a swan
rising reguardant wings displayed argent gorged of a collar sable.

     This conflicts with Meadhbh ni Dhomhnaill, registered in April
     1996.  Both given names and patronymics differ only in the period
     of the orthography, and no difference is given from the change
     from ni to ingen.

     The position of the head of the swan is unblazonable.  It is not
     reguardant, as that would be turned backwards, not down and
     under.