ANSTHRLD - Gaelic Name

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Sun Jul 16 13:12:31 PDT 2000

At 09:06 AM 7/15/00 -0000, you wrote:
>Greetings all..
>
>I am having difficulty researching a name. I have no problem documenting
the first name "Seamus" but the last name MacInnerighe I can not place.
Through mundane sources I have found that the name dates back to the 1200's
but I do not know how accurate it is. Any help on this subject would be
greatly appriciated.

>Seamus

I need to research this, but off the top of my head I think <MacInnerighe>
is probably something like <mac ind rig> or "son of the king".  If that's
the case, it would likely be considered presumptious and therefore not
registerable.

Just a second...

>From the Annals of Connacht:
     1409.2   Tomas mac ind Rig
literally "Thomas son of the king".

I need to go home and look through my books to make sure I've guessed the
etymology of this name correctly.

Are you looking for Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, any particular year,
something that sounds similar to this byname?

Mari