ANSTHRLD - Germanic name sources

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 02:52:35 PDT 2000

  "Bubba" is
>a good A-S name, and "Godgod" is too, but "Bubbagodgod" is
>probably not -- you have to find that "Bubba-" is a protheme in
>several names and "-godgod" is a deuterotheme (or find a reliable
>source who says that).  "Cyni-" as a protheme and "-ric" as a
>deuterotheme doesn't on its own justify rearranging them into
>"Riccyni".  ("Ric-" does happen to be a protheme too -- think
>"Richard" -- so with more data it might be possible to justify.)

  Bubba is actually a contraction of some more formal name and really could
not be used with anything.  Ric- does occur in the Liber Vitae a few time as
the first element though names like Richard seem to have been post Conquest,
att least with any frequency.

  If we really wanted to get technical, my name would actually be something
more like Cyni- or Cuniricar Cyni-/Cuniwarþingar or- i(n)jar since my
persona is still in the Runic phase and this would be nominally accurate
from Southwest "Danish" rune engravings.  I just found the later
Northumbrian to be easier to document.

Cyniric