ANSTHRLD - Cyniric name and device

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 11:19:28 PDT 2000

>The name should be fine for SCA registration.
>
>The device has a problem.
>
>It's called a Norse sun cross as well as a sun wheel.

>Sorry to sound like an heraldic lawyer but I don't want you to spend
>good money only to have a device returned 9 months later with
>nasty comments.

  Hey, I need to know this stuff, so no problem.  I think the decision is
stupid but it is not your fault.  Outside of the fact it appears on
Bronze-Age northern pictures stones as representing the sun and shields, I
suppose I see their point since everything seem to have a Mediterranian
centrism to it.  What if it was changed to a Icelandic solarhringr-very
similar but with eight spokes as opposed to four?
   Now let's see, I cannot get away with just a rune either because it is a
"letter" (despite being used for shorthand to replace the word it
represented in period). I guess it is time to get creative.....

Cyniric