ANSTHRLD - Germanic name sources

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Jul 17 11:31:33 PDT 2000

Kathri at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/16/2000 3:56:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
> tmcd at jump.net writes:
>
> > if you're not sure if some data supports your case or not,
> > please feel free to put it in.  Unless you photocopy half a
> > book, it's easier to weed out unneeded documentation than it
> > is to re-research it, especially because you might have
> > stumbled on the perfect work that nobody else has access to.
>
> This works on a kingdom level.

That is the intended scope of my suggestion.  It's the Ansteorran
Heralds list, and only about 17 people in the SCA do LoIs for the
SCA-wide College of Arms, one per kingdom or other large
submission area (translation: Lochac has done their own LoI for
years, and they're only now going kingdom).

> But at the "Ask Laurel Anything" session at KWHS, one of the
> questions was "What can we do to make it easier for you?"  ["To
> register our submissions' was implied.]

I think that was my question, and I didn't mean to imply that.
I just meant "make your life easier", period.  If she'd said
"return more things at kingdom", that would have been a valid
answer, if she'd said it, which I emphasize she didn't.

> So we have a[nother] tightrope to walk: document each element
> but try not to photocopy half a book.

What's this "we", paleface?  It's Bordure's tightrope, he says
with some glee (as an EX-holder of the office).

Now *locals* shouldn't go overboard, but the average local
doesn't know where the board *is*, and in this case it's better
to err somewhat to excess than by too little.

The "half a book" example was mentioned at KWHS.  Someone thought
that you had to copy *every* page out of your source that
mentions the name you want.  He had a history book where the
given name was the name of a major person of the period, so he
actually copied and sent in half the flinkin' book, highlighting
the name every time it appeared.  Now *that's* overboard.  You
just need one example from each source, plus a copy of the title
page and the publication data pages (ISBN, copyright, publisher,
et cetera, usually all on the back side of the title page), and
unless there's some question about the reliability of the source
or the data, you need use only one source.

Daniel "sources, pages, names, and dates, how much data came from
Asterisk?" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)