ANSTHRLD - Name Check Please

Jodi McMaster jodimc at texas.net
Tue Jul 25 21:07:47 PDT 2000

Teceangl wrote:

> > name I would like to register :  Wilim Penbras
> > Only other name I found that is
> > a Penbras or a variation thereof: Gwylym Penbras
> > Registered 02/96 via the Middle
>
> Ugh. The names are variants and most likely conflict.

Another choice is to go with something similar to your first choice of
byname but not so much so that you still conflict. What was it you liked
about <Penbras>?

Without a clue as to the answer, I still took a short look-see in Reaney
and found a few that I *think* are clear (but don't worry; someone will
set me straight if they're not):

s.n. Brass, Brace: <Braz> 1218; <Brace> 1327; <Brasse> 1440
s.n. Brasseur, Le Brasseur, Bracer, Brasher: <le Brascur> 1168; <le
Brazur> 1199; <le Brassur> 1296
s.n. Brassey, Brassy, Bracey, Bracy: <de Braci> 1190; <de Bracy> 1275;
<Bracy> 1369
s.n. Pemberton: <de Pemberton> 1387
s.n. Pengelley, Pengelly, Pengilly: <de Pengelly> 1297

There's bunches of Pen-something.

AElfwyn