ANSTHRLD - Name Check Please

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Jul 25 22:06:17 PDT 2000

> >> name I would like to register :  Wilim Penbras
> >> a Penbras or a variation thereof: Gwylym Penbras
>
> > Ugh. The names are variants and most likely conflict.
> > Choice #1 (the usual fix) is to add a locative.  Wilim Penbras
> > of York
> Ugh.  It's a beautiful period Welsh name.  Why suggest an English
> locative, and when Harpy (below) says that place-names in Welsh
> names happen about one percent of the time?

Because just because my persona is Welsh, I can't think of a Welsh
locative off the top of my head.

> > Choice #2 is to add a descriptive (Wilim Penbras the gray)
> Why suggest an English descriptive, especially because he implies
> Penbras is already a descriptive?

Because just because my persona is Welsh, the only Welsh descriptives
I can ever remember off the top of my head are bach, dubh and ban, so
I hadn't parsed Penbras as descriptive.  With the given name "Wilim",
I nearly didn't parse the name as Welsh at all.

> > Choice #3 is to slap on a second given name (Wilim Robert
> > Penbras) which is registrable but rather far from historic practice.
> Why suggest a second given name when we have maybe three examples
> in Britain in period?

And none in Welsh?  And you don't see me *endorsing* the practice, do you?

Yeah, what Daniel said.  Wilim Penbras ap Tegwaret.  That's cool.

- Teceangl Bach (and how many people look at *that* and think "Welsh"?)
--
       Teclexia - the inability to type, write, or spell "Teceangl"