ANSTHRLD - question

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 07:16:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/2000 3:14:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
darin-herndon at utulsa.edu writes:

> Question to the list:  Does the
>  blazon have to include "wings" or would "Purpure, a wyvern statant,
>  displayed argent." be acceptable?  Displayed denotes to me that wings
>  are involved so is it necessary?

Wings are the only thing that can be displayed, so the word "wings" could be
dropped, but I have another question.  How can a wyvern be statant and
displayed?  Statant defaults to "facing dexter" and displayed wings are one
on each side [of the wyvern], so how does this look?  Are the wings really
displayed or are they "elevated and addorsed"  (raised, back-to-back, above
the body of the wyvern)?  Addorsed is the default for a statant winged
monster.  Or is the wyvern "statant affronty" (facing us) which would make
"displayed" easier to do and see?

I found three instances in the O&A of a "wyvern statant [wings] displayed"
but none were from Ansteorra so I don't have a picture to look at.

I have to agree with the original post about the blazoning herald(s) having a
bad day.  (I've had plenty of bad days myself, recently, so I have a basis
for my opinion.  And reason to recommend that we watch out for each other's
mistakes and correct them when we can.)

Kathri