ANSTHRLD - KWHS last minute reminders - long

MGreene at mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Thu Jun 22 01:25:51 PDT 2000

Greetings to the attendees of the Knowne World Heraldic Symposium- 2000.
Here are a few last minute reminders for your viewing pleasure.... (forgive
the duplicate postings.)

Weather: - warm, humid, cloudy, in the 90s.   Bring a hat and sunglasses.
Garb - optional on Friday and Sunday, preferred on Saturday.  Bring cool
breathable fabrics.  and good walking shoes.
Feast Gear - not needed, you could bring your goblet or mug for personna
effect!

Class supplies - notepads, pens, scribes bring pencils, calligraphy pens
(fountain or felt pens recommended for class), and a small selection of
brushes, paints and pallets, dependent on class choices.  Westgate will
provide a small set of loaner supplies.

Dorms (Wills-Rice New): - airconditioned.  We were expecting phone service
in the rooms, but that may not happen, due to phone updates going on at
campus. Payphones will be available in the cafeteria and classroom areas.

Hotel to Campus volunteer shuttle/Emergency/Contact Phones: - 1st option:
cell phone: 281-413-4843 (Friday through Sunday only, please), 2nd option -
voice mail - 281-578-4609.  3rd option - answer machine - 281-855-9447.
Option 2 and 3 will be checked regularly for messages.

In emergencies, **if the above fails, contact the Rice University Police
Department, and advise them we are in Baker Commons and Wills-Rice Dorms.
Please specify the SCA, as there will be other conferences on campus.

Classrooms (Sewell Hall) - airconditioned,
Hangout area (Baker College Commons) - airconditioned.

Library (Baker College Commons) - we just got authorization to use a small
conference room/ library.  This is an ideal area for an scribes to bring
and display kingdom and personal artwork and court books with calligraphy
and illumination in a secured, airconditioned environment.  Also, we will
have a calendar posted on the door for you to schedule any impromptu
classes or meeting to be held in this room.    Please treat this room
gently, as the campus was very gracious in allowing us its use.

Parking:  - If you are driving to campus, take best route to Kirby off I-59
south, turn south.  At University Blvd., turn left.  Drive past shopping
village and stadium.  Look for entrance number 8, turn left onto College
Way.  Drive past tennis courts, and look right for Baker College (not Baker
Hall).  Park on the right side, set emergency flashers, and check in with
Troll.  You will be advised where to park your car.

Shuttles and Cabs - If you are coming into the airports, you will need to
take the 'Express Shuttle' in the baggage area, to the Park Plaza Warwick
hotel, in the medical center area.  It should run $37 round trip from
Intercontinental, and $20. round trip from Hobby Airports.  One way fares
are available.   If there are 3-4 of you together, you may consider taking
a cab direct to the university.  Cab fare from Intercontintental is approx.
$38, and from Hobby its $20.  Ask the driver for the current rate.  You can
request a 'flat rate' for the fare up to 4 persons on one rate.  Don't
forget the tip, in the equation.  A cab to the campus for multiple riders
may be cheeper, more direct and faster.  We will attempt to coordinate
departures for those with similar flight times, via cab on Sunday, if you
wish.

Classes - all class hours are full.  There have been a few cancellations
(2), and they have been replaced.  If you have a class you wanted to
present, but were unable to register it earlier, you can secure an hour in
the library for an impromptu presentation or discussion during the weekend.

Event goodies: the Knowne World Proceedings - 2000 will be on site for
purchase and back orders. Event tote bags and t-shirts also available for
purchase and order.  Free Trumpet Press will be selling Heraldic books and
supplies.

Airport Luggage tags - Be sure you luggage is properly tagged - Bush
Intercontinental Airport Houston is IAH.  Houston Hobby Airport is HOU.

Prizes - if you have prizes to donate to the Heraldic games, we would be
happy to pass them along to worthy contestants.
Swap Meet  - if you have items you don't want, or duplications, you can
swap them on Friday evening, at the social.

If there are any questions, the Autocrat will be checking e-mail one last
time on Thursday evening, till the event.  Please review the website for
updated directions (last week) and map links.

We look forward to being your hosts this year at Knowne World Heraldic
Symposium, and hope your travels are uneventful.
Till this weekend.... Mistress Hillary Greenslade  KWHS - 2000 Autocrat.