ANSTHRLD - Conflict Checks, Please!

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Wed Jun 28 22:31:38 PDT 2000

Names checked in the Armorial thru 3/00.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Debra R. Poole <dpoole1 at airmail.net> wrote:
> 1.  Adelicia Tagliaferro (Name only)

"Antonio Tagliaferro. Name and device." was registered 5/97 without
comment.  The LoI was Atlantia (January 4).  NCF.  "Adelicia" is
grandfathered to the submitter.  (Don't forget to put it on the LoI as
    Adelicia Tagliaferro.  Name change from Adelicia Gilwell.
and say what disposition is requested for the previous name.

> 2.  Anna von Eltz (Name only)

If she has a real-world blood relation to Dietrich Kempenich von Eltz
(1/98, Ansteorran LoI 30 Sept 97) or Helena von Eltz (Drachenwald,
2/98), and has proof, that can be belt-and-suspenders.  They're the
only two registered Eltzes, and there's no Elz as a word alone.

Here's what was on that LoI for Dietrich:

       Eltz: place name in the Mosel region of Germany.  Bahlow
    trans.: "Eltz, Eltzer: pl. n. Eltz (Moselle, Neckar) is actually a
    prehistor. river name", p. 114.

       Talan Gwynek: ... Brechenmacher s. n. Elz says that Elz is a
    common place-name and the name of a river.  He cites Gottfried Elz
    1518.  He doesn't have a period example with the "t", but I expect
    that this is within the range of reasonable variation, at least
    late in our period. ...

Oddly, the translated Bahlow doesn't have a header for "Anna" per se,
just bynames like "vron Annes" 'lord, husband, or son of Anne]' or
"Annensun" '[A., son of Anne]', but under Annen p. 16.  Ah, he does
have "(likewise V. frater Anne, Bremen 1306)".  Any justification for
the spelling "Anna"?

> 3.  Caterina Nadalini (Name only)

> 4.  Donal mac Seoirse (Name and Device)

The name must be returned for exact conflict with Donal mac
Se{o'}irse, 9/92, registered thru Ansteorra.  In other words, his
name's already passed, so why the "Name and"?

The armory form has the name as "Donal mac Se{o'}irse", matching the
registered form.

Make it "Per chevron sable and azure, a panther rampant reguardant
argent pellety incensed Or within a tressure argent".  The form shows
he's incensed rather than enflamed.  I find no examples of "English
panther" in any blazon in the past decade.  A 11/97 return has "As
drawn the monster is not clearly a panther, a Continental panther or a
tyger, but something that shares the characteristics of all three.".
The previous device was (1/96, corrected 2/96): "Per chevron sable and
azure, a panther rampant argent pellety incensed between three mullets
of four points argent.".  Thus, the default panther seems to be the
English one.

There's a 4/93 prec. saying "nor can we see granting a CD between
continental and insular panthers.", for what it's worth.

Because this required several bits of blazon fu, some precedent
diving, and some history searches, you might be getting a tad
over-eager with the fast-track submissions.  They're supposed to be
no-brainers or emergencies, I thought.

Armory not checked.

> 5.  Donatien Delaborde (Device only)
> "Per fess argent and azure, two ferrets statant
> counterchanged".

Name reg. 10/99.  Armory not checked.

> 6.  Emma de Fetherstan (Name and Device)
> "Argent masoned sable, a feather bendwise sinister gules".

Name: Closest is Ala of Featherstone|9003K|N||, and that's clear.

Cursory armory check only.

Clear of Andrew Quintero|0001A|b|Argent, a feather bendwise sinister
gules, a bordure wavy azure.: 1 CD for field (masoning is part of the
tincture), 1 CD for the bordure.

Clear of Flaming Gryphon, Barony of the|8701M|b|Ermine, a feather
bendwise Or, enflamed gules.|(For the Order of the Gryphon's Plume):
field + orientation at least.

> 7.  Grasteinn Bakrauf (Name only)
> 8.  Sigerith d'Aiencort (Name only)

Um, what language is that name in -- Anglo-Saxon + French?  Is the doc
really so cut-and-dried that no commentary is needed?  Granted, Sigrid
de la Mare was reg. without particular comment 9/98 ...

> 9.  Threebridges, College of (Name and Device)
> "Argent, three bridges in pale Azure, on flauches Azure two
> laurel wreaths argent".

We don't capitalize Tinctures in the SCA, except for Or.  The first
"azure" can be omitted.  The blazon matches the picture.

Name looks clear.  Certainly clear of Barony of the Bridge.  Armory
not checked.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;