ANSTHRLD - Ameteur Heraldic Question...

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Jun 7 19:49:07 PDT 2000

>  I am attempting to document several names for myself
> and members of our house. I secured a copy of "Corpus
> Genelogiarum Hiberniae, Vol. 1" ed. M.A. O'Brien, 1976.
> It transcribes two old manuscripts, Rawlings B.502, and
> the Book of Leinster, with minor information from the
> Book of Lecan and the Book of Ballymote. It lists Irish
> genealogies, but they are not dated. My question is,
> is this book sufficient as a primary submission reference
> as far as the Society's CoA?

Yes.  You need to make copies of the title page, the page with
the copyright info (if any), and all pages repevant to the submission.
Don't forget to hit the entries you're using with a highlighter so
that they stand out.

Baroness Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn, who does extensive
onomastic studies for the SCA, uses this book.  She's actually
created some names lists with O'Brien's work as source.
You can also check articles at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/
and
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
to suppliment your researches.  Articles from both those sites are
good documentation; you print out the whole article and highlight it
and include it with the submission.

> course, I cannot ask you to predict how the Trimarian
> bureaucracy might respond, but just as a guide, where
> would something like this fall as far as quality of
> reference?

Excellent.  Laurel likes it, and my bet is Triskele will, too.

You can also bring your questions to the SCA Heralds list (which
has a somewhat highter volume than here, but also has Baroness
Tangwystyl).  To subscribe email LISTSERV at LISTSERV.AOL.COM with
the message body "SIGNON SCAHRLDS".  The listserv will send you
a mailing with all sorts of info, like how to get a digest version
and how to unsubscribe (keep it).

In a nutshell, though, the book you're using is a great reference and
so far as I know the College of Arms should like it fine as
documentation.

- Teceangl
--
                Gwell car yn y llys nag aur ar fys