ANSTHRLD - conflict check

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jun 9 01:31:47 PDT 2000

> field - 1st choice is gules, 2nd choice is azure
>
> charge - a greyhound argent; 1st choice is passant, 2nd choice is
> couchant guardant

Passant is out:
Johann von Graustein - February of 1983 (via Ansteorra):
(Fieldless) A fox statant reguardant argent.
One CD only for adding a field.  Nothing for reguardant.
and
Isabella of Greycliffs - June of 1983 (via the Middle):
Per bend sinister embattled sable and vert, a fox passant argent.
One CD for changes to the field.

Lucrezia di Francesca - February of 1999 (via Atlantia):
Azure, a dog passant, in canton a swallowtailed cross argent.
This keeps you from having an azure field and argent bordure, for there is
only one CD for change of type of secondary.

Lizbeth Ravensholm:
Gules, a wolf passant reguardant argent armed sable, perched on its back a
raven croaking proper.
Ancient registration, no date given.  As such, you'd need a visual check
to see if the raven is a co-primary (doubtful) or maintained charge.
This one requires the bordure on the gules field, as without it the only CD
*might* be the raven.  I wouldn't bet on the raven being enough to clear it
in any case.

Kathryn du Griffin - May of 1985 (via Caid):
Per pale gules and sable, a talbot passant argent spotted counterchanged,
collared and leashed Or, orbed gules.
Another judgement call.  The spots probably count as tertiary charges, though,
making this clear.

With the hound couchant guardant:

Finn Silverfox - February of 1987 (via the Middle):
Vert, chausse chequy argent and sable, a fox dormant argent.
One CD for changes to the field.  Adding a bordure clears this.

In either posture:

Wolfangus MhicMarighdhin - March of 1981 (via Atenveldt):
Azure, a wolf sejant erect affronty, forepaws spread in fess, argent,
maintaining a basket-hilted broadsword and a targe Or.
Without the bordure any posture on azure conflicts with only one CD for
posture change.

Therefore, the following choices are clear:

[Any field divided of] gules and azure (or azure and gules), a greyhound
passant and a bordure argent.
All possibilites are clear of:
Khevron Oktavii Tikhikovich Vorotnikov - November of 1996 (via the West):
Per pale vert and sable, a talbot passant within a bordure invected argent.
One CD for change of half the field tincture, one CD for removal of complex
line from the bordure.

[Gules or azure], a greyhound couchant guardant and a bordure argent.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them, but note that I'll be out of
communication until Monday.

- Teceangl
--
                Gwell car yn y llys nag aur ar fys