ANSTHRLD - Conflict Check

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Jun 21 18:37:34 PDT 2000

Wilim / Adam Edwards <wolf at techieguy.com> wrote:
> Can I get opinions, good bad and indifferent on
> "Per pale wavy sable and vert, two griffins combatant or
> and on a chief embattled three maple leaves vert."

Sure.

Opinion 1: It's a double instaboing, probably due to an incorrect
blazon.

What's the tincture of the chief?  In English-language blazon, if
a tincture is omitted, the tincture is the *next* tincture
mentioned in the blazon.  That rule would make this
    on a chief embattled [vert] three maple leaves vert
which would make the leaves as invisible as the proverbial polar
bear in a blizzard.  Also, it would be
    Per pale wavy sable and vert ... and on a chief [vert]
which would have the chief sharing a tincture with half the
field, which is also an instaboing.

Opinion 2: the SCA capitalizes the tincture "Or" (and no other
tinctures), supposedly to avoid confusion with the conjunction
"or".  I think it's silly (I've never seen a blazon with "or"
used as a conjunction), but there it is.

combattant and a (chief|bordure) <complex>" has six elements
that are done somewhat more or lots more in the SCA than in
period:
    - per pale with a complex line
    - per pale of two colors or two metals
    - two beasties combattant
    - a chief or bordure
    - a complex-line chief or bordure
    - two colors and a metal (I think) and one of the colors
      isn't gules
Each of these were done in period sometimes or occasionally,
depending, and it's registerable, barring conflict and tincture
problems, but they're something of a SCA cliche.  Put this in
with almost any 10 random period coats of similar complexity
count and say "point to the SCA design", and I'd bet I'd point to
this one.

If the client is willing to listen to style suggestions to get
something closer to period style, I'd first suggest choosing just
one, and look first at per pale wavy three griffins (arranged two
and one, or less probably in fess) segreant and no peripheral
ordinary.  There are lots of other possibilities.  A
solid-tincture field was more common in period, for example.  If
the client was amenable, I'd ask the client what was significant
to them and work with that.  If the client wasn't amenable, I'd
just get something registerable and send it up, regardless of
period style concerns.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)