ANSTHRLD - Need conflict check (Walter)

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Mar 14 01:49:38 PST 2000

> > Were the entire device semy of hearts I would have expected to see:
> >     Per bend vert semy of hearts argent and sable semy of hearts argent.
>
> Awkward.

But thorouhgly unambiguous.

> >     Per bend vert and sable, overall semy of hearts argent.
>
> Not "overall".  CoA Glossary of Terms:
>
>     Overall. A term applied to charges that cross over both edges of
>     another charge to lie on the field on either side. For instance,
>     Or, a lion rampant purpure and overall a fess sable has the fess
>     starting on the field on one side, crossing over the center of the
>     lion, and lying on the field on the other side.
>
> More likely,
>       Per bend vert and sable, all semy of hearts argent.

I ought to have known that.  I mean, last year we did Batman MacRobin's
badge "A reremouse quarterly vert and gules, all grillage Or"...

> Apparently, at the time I thought that "semy" would apply only to the
> last partial field division mentioned, and the list agreed.
> Apparently, my brain is subject to bit rot.
>
> Daniel de Lincolia, making reservations at the old heralds' home

No, Daniel, there's nothing wrong with the memory retention.  It works
all too well, and never gives up what's been stored.  You need an
upgrade in your information retrieval software.

- Teceangl
--
  Tec's basic spelling rule # 3.54:  i before e, except when it's not.