ANSTHRLD - Armory conflict check: Duncan M

awmorris at flash.net awmorris at flash.net
Mon May 8 07:28:54 PDT 2000

On Sun May  7 19:58:57 2000, heralds at ansteorra.org wrote:

> > Please conflict check:
> >
> > Or, a unicorn rampant rampant gules.
>
> Probably in conflict with Jiane of Ocurin - January of 1974 (via the West):
> Argent, a Horse forcene gules, animee and allume azure.
>
> The only precedent I could find on unicorns versus horses:
>    There is at least a CD between a horse and a correctly drawn (i.e.
>    medieval) unicorn (William Palfrey, September, 1992, pg. 14)

I thought that was overturned?  On the grounds that some period depictions of
unicorns were essentially horned horses, and that we have to clear conflict on
all acceptable emblazons.
http://www.millersv.edu/~english/homepage/duncan/medfem/unicorn.html  includes
some typical representations of unicorns in tapestries, very similar to horse
depictions of the time.