ANSTHRLD - Branch device change-how to's?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon May 1 13:06:10 PDT 2000

> Does this mean I am disqualified for being ten centuries early? Verdammt!

No.  Not at all.

There are several approaches to integrating the notion
of a person into the reality (such as it is) of the SCA.

0.  What's a "persona"?
1.  Ignore any discrepancies, or "My mother says that facts are
    like cows.  If you stare them in the face, very often they'll
    run away.".
2.  Do like at home.  None of your neighbors back in England had
    this "coat of arms" thing, so there's no reason for you to change.
3.  When in Rome.  All of your *new* neighbors have these "coats
    of arms", and you want to fit in with the neighbors , so ...
    (The notion of "I'll be different just to be different"
    is rather a modern notion.)

In any event, the College of Arms cares not on whit about your
persona.  A Neatherthal persona could register armory.  Heck, the CoA
doesn't even care about a man's SCA name for a real-world woman or the
reverse (granted that there were cultures where those boundaries
weren't clear -- you didn't HAVE names that were only used for men,
say).

In short, don't sweat any official disapproval.  For yourself, choose
a philosophy.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)