ANSTHRLD - Name Question (fwd)

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Mon May 1 13:11:43 PDT 2000

>> > Can someone tell me on what page William is listed in Withycombe's
>> > Dictionary of christian names.
>>
>> Mr. Pedantic Person notes that it's _The Oxford Dictionary of English
>> Christian Names_.  It's a miracle nobody has soundly *THWAPPED*
>> Mr. Pedantic Person for a while.
>
>To get even more persnickety...
>
>Most editions are "The Oxford Dictionary of English Christian names."
>There's a 1988 reprint of the 3rd edition (1977) entitled "The Concise
>Dictionary of English Christian Names."

And the hardback and paperback printings of the 3rd edition have different
page numbers.  (Just to give us all headaches, I think.)

That's why it helps to list both the page and the header for the entry you
are referencing.  In fact the header becomes more important than the page
number.  That's why I gave both in my examples from Reaney & Wilson and Black.

(You know, someday I should put all these bits of trivia in an article...
in my copious free time - grin!)

Mari