ANSTHRLD - Even More ILOI Conflicts

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Thu Nov 2 10:17:16 PST 2000

>>  22) Siobhan ni Domnall (Northkeep)
>>  [Name] Conflict with Siobhan MacDonald registered March 1985.
>>  [Device] This would return the device automatically.
>>

>    To be clear of conflict the name must look different and sounds
>different.  This looks and sounds different to me.

Hmm... there is definitely no difference given for <mac> vs. <nic> (see
below).  <mac> (son of) vs. <ni/>, with the accent on the "i", may or may
not conflict.  It's real borderline since <ni/> is only a particle and not
the meat of the name, but <ni/> indicates a farther relationship than child
from the Domnall in question.

LoAR 10/99, under Returns:
Caitlin MacKenzie. Name (See PENDS for device).
Conflict with Caitlin nicCoinnich.  MacKenzie is an anglicized form of mac
Coinnich, making the two identical for the purposes of conflict.  The
submitter should also be told that mixing Gaelic and English forms in
period is vanishingly rare.  It would be better to have a name in either
totally English or totally Gaelic forms.

FYI: Contrary to the LoI, <ni/> does not mean "daughter of".  It is a
contraction of <inghean ui/> which means <inghean> means "daughter [of]",
so <Siobhan inghean ui/ Dhomhnaill> means that Siobhan is the daughter of a
man whose byname is <O/ Domnaill>, and if he's a member of that clan, it
implies that she is as well.  As an aside, in late period (which is the
time frame of this name), <inghean ui/> is pronounced approximately like we
would pronounce <ni/>.

If the name <Siobhan ni Domnall> is not a conflict with <Siobhan
MacDonald>, then registerable forms would be:
     Siobhan inghean ui/ Dhomhnaill
          or
     Siobhan ni/ Donill
The first name above is in a full Irish Gaelic format.  The second example
uses the Irish Gaelic <Siobhan> and the Anglicized <ni/ Donill>.  Mixing
the languages is one weirdness but it's registerable.  Woulfe (p. 498 s.n.
O/ Domhnaill> dates the spellings <O Donill> & <O Daniell> to temp.
Elizabeth I - James I.

But you can't mix languages within a phrase (see RfS III.1.a).  Because
<ni/> was only used in Anglicized forms its language does not match the
Irish Gaelic <Domnall>.

Additionally, <Domnall> is a nominative form of this Irish Gaelic name.  It
needs to be put in the genetive and lenited to be in a woman's byname in
Irish Gaelic.  Hence <Dhomhnaill> listed above.  (This spelling matches the
period that <Siobhan> is appropriate for.

Mari