ANSTHRLD - Re: How do I do a name change?

Ansteorran Kingdom Star Principal Herald herald at ansteorra.org
Mon Nov 6 12:44:19 PST 2000

>Greetings!  I am Lord Donald Mac Donald, the
>hospitaller of Lindenwood, and I have a question. I'm
>sure you can help me.

Always good to be optimistic, I'll do my best ;-)

>When I joined the SCA, I wanted an easy name/persona.
>I choose "Donald" , as there were kings of Scotland
>named Donald; Mac Donald was an easy construction,
>too... "son of Donald".  A bit repetative, but it
>sounds good.

>However, while reading a book I purchased last week
>(_Encyclopaedia of th> e Viking Age_, John Haywood,
>ISBN 0-500-01982-7, Thames & Hudson) I found a name I
>had used as a D&D character way back some 17 years
>ago: Ælfhelm.

>I had taken the name for my character out of Tolkien's
>_Lord of the Rings> _; he was a very minor character,
>one of the Riders of Rohan.  I always loved the name,
>and thought it was a shame that it was 'fictional',
>and therefore impossible to register.

>Now, I find out that Ælfhelm was the name of the
>Ældorman of Northumbria, who was killed in 1006. His
>daughter Ælfgyfu was the concubine to Cnute. Had two
>sons, Harold Harefoot - king of England after Cnute
>and Sweyn, with whom she ruled Norway between 1030 -
>1035 before being expelled.

>Anyway, I'd kinda like to change my personna, from
>late-period Scots to circa 1000 Anglo-Saxon.  Here's
>the problems:
>(1) I recieved my AoA at Steppes Warlord this year;
>does the AoA follow me to my new personna? (I'm pretty
>sure it does)

Yes, it does follow the new persona or can be
attributed to your alternate persona if you choose to
keep both names.

>(2) My name and device were in the 03/99 ILoL, and I
>haven't heard anything about them since.
>   (a) Can you tell me what the status is? I haven't
>seen any LoAR's posted since May's.

I show your name to have been on ILoI 03/00 as item
number 6. I also show that your device was forwarded to
Laurel in LoI dated 05/00. This means that the soonest
we would know would be on Septembers LoAR which has yet
to surface from Laurel.

>   (b) Do I submit a name change (and keep the device,
>I like the device) or what?  I mean to ask, what's the
>procedure?

To submit a name change, just fill out the Name
submission form with the new name and documentation,
check the boxes for 'Primary' and 'Change'
or 'Alternate' and 'New'

> (3) I'm sure I'll need a locative, patronym, or
>byname... the Ælfhelm of history was called Ælfhelm of
>Northumbria.  Would "Ælfhelm Spendthrift" work,
>or "Ælfhelm Donaldson", or "Ælfhelm the Clerke?"
>(mundane last name is Clark, former form was Clarke
>and Clerke... all pronounced Clark)

For this I must defer to those who know names better
and is the reason I am sending this to the Ansteorran
College of Heralds Mailing list. I do not know the
naming rules well enough to know if these are possible
or not. I am sure they will respond to the list and you
specifically.

Hope this helps

Borek, Star