ANSTHRLD - ILOI conflicts

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Nov 1 09:04:15 PST 2000

"Kathleen O'Brien" <kobrien at bmc.com> wrote:
> >They are pronounced alike and both translate to John.
>
> As they are both forms of John, they fall under "equivalents" rather
> than both being diminutives of a different name.
>
> So Ihone = Eoin = John for meaning.

I should be careful in arguing names with Mari, but (except for
diminutives) meaning doesn't matter, only sound and appearance.

    Given Names - Two given names are significantly different only if
    they differ significantly in sound *and* appearance.  Irrespective
    of differences in sound and appearance, a given name is not
    significantly different from any of its diminutives when they are
    used as given names.  However, two diminutives of the same given
    name are significantly different if they differ significantly in
    sound and appearance.

    "Mary" is equivalent to the French "Marie", since neither the
    appearance nor the sound is significantly different; it is
    significantly different from the Hebrew "Miriam", since it differs
    significantly in sound and appearance and neither name is a
    diminutive of the other.

Note in particular that "Mary" has the same meaning as "Miriam", yet
they are explicitly stated as being clear.

> So, to clear a conflict, they really need to sound different.  Which
> these don't.

To be more explicit: to clear it, you need difference in both sound
and appearance, so if you fail on one, you fail.  I'd say that they
appear different enough.  Sound I have no knowledge of.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)