ANSTHRLD - Even More ILOI Conflicts

Fitzmorgan at cs.com Fitzmorgan at cs.com
Wed Nov 1 20:22:57 PST 2000

In a message dated 11/1/00 9:04:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
debell at txcyber.com writes:

Greetings from Robert Fitzmorgan, Northkeep Herald.  I'll be seeing most of
these people ths weekend and would like to be able to discuss their
submissions with them with them.

>  9) Ikijima Katsutoshi (Northkeep)
>  [Name] Mari has found data that would return this name.
>  [Device] The device would go back automatically.

    Can you elaborate please?

>  15) Merrik Villtr Har (Northkeep)
>  [Name] Mixing languages and widely differing time periods.
>  Undocumented surname.

    Name documentation is not my strongest area as a Herald, still I have a
few thoughts here.   Note that I don't have access to my references so I'm
not sure what the time period was for "Merrik"
    Granting the different languages I would still think that English - Norse
is not an unreasonable mix.
    The Surname Villtr - meaning "Foolish or Uruly" and Har meaning "hair"
seems to me a reasonable descriptive on the same pattern as Erik Blood-Axe or
 Ragnarr Lodbrok (Shaggy-Breeches).
    Much of our knowledge of Old Norse comes from the Sagas written in the
13th and early 14th Centuries.  Did the language change so drasticly between
then and the dates for Merrik as to render this name construction invalid?  I
might be wrong but I believe that the Norse language was fairly stable
throughout the latter part of our period.

>  [Device] Different body positions for each hare.
>  The head is normal on tricorporates so the bunny needs
>  to lose an ear.  Redraw return.

    I hadn't noticed the different body positions, but did tell him that the
third ear might be a proublem.  He wanted to see if he could register it with
3 because he thought it was more symmetrical that way, but is willing to lop
off one ear if necessary.  Personally I like it better with 3 ears.

>  22) Siobhan ni Domnall (Northkeep)
>  [Name] Conflict with Siobhan MacDonald registered March 1985.
>  [Device] This would return the device automatically.

    To be clear of conflict the name must look different and sounds
different.  This looks and sounds different to me.