ANSTHRLD - Blazon Help

Brent Ryder bryder at compucom.com
Thu Nov 23 05:18:22 PST 2000

>I think the following is clear, but I would appreciate
>2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, opinions.

>"Vert, on a plate a bear statant, sable"

According to X.4.j 'Changes to Charges on Charges - Changes to a group of charges placed entirely on other charges may create one clear difference. No more than one clear difference can be obtained from changes to the same group of charges on other charges'

Further more, according to X.4.j.ii, 'ii. In simple cases substantially changing the type of all of a group of identical charges placed entirely on other charges is one clear difference.'

and more specifically, X.4.j.ii.a, 'Armory that has a group of identical charges on an ordinary or other suitable charge alone on the field is a simple case. Sable, on a pale argent three lozenges sable has one clear difference from Sable, on a pale argent three ravens sable

Here is some of what I have found:

>Aldred Blackwood|9811Q|d|Vert, on a plate a tree eradicated sable, a base >argent

One CD for addition of base, one for substantial change in type of tertiary

>Anne of the Golden Mantle|8107E|d|Vert, on a plate a swan naiant, couped >on the fess line, sable.

One CD by X.4.j.ii.a, but no other because it is the swan that is couped and not the plate.

>Elana Blakefenn|9109C|d|Vert, on a plate a cat couchant to sinister sable >within a bordure rayonny argent.

One CD for the addition of a bordure, and I would debate the 'substantial difference' for the change in type of tertiary between a cat and a bear at a difference. The tail would become thin line heraldry at a distance and so it would not count towards visual difference

>Naevehjem, Barony of|9212C|b|Vert, on a plate within an annulet Or, an >ermine spot gules

One CD for the annulet, one for the 'substantial' change in type of tertiary

This is what happens when you are bored at work on Thanksgiving.

Hope you all had a happy one.

Borek, Star