ANSTHRLD - Need some help conflict checking

Brent Ryder bryder at compucom.com
Wed Nov 29 07:09:13 PST 2000

>>>1)  Device:  field azure, with a rapier and sewing needle (with the thread) >>>crossed at the top and a dragonfly (the main item) underneath, all argent.

>>Is the rapier point up or down? I am assuming point up and the point is >>crossed near the eye of the needle.

>She doesn't really mind weither it goes up or down that I know of.  As for >the crossing she was thinking like two swords but one of them is a needle. >I'm thinking that would mean that they would cross in the middle of each >other?

Generally so, but it does not have to be. They can cross at any point along them. You just have to blazon it specifically if it is not in the default position

The Blazon would then be, 'Azure, a dragonfly tergiant and on a chief argent a rapier and a needle threaded in saltire azure'.

> >2)  Badge:  an inverted pile 'V' argent and azure,
> with a dragonfly on the >pile (in azure) and a
> flur-de-lys on either side in argent.
>
> OK, is the point of the pile up or down? What
> position is the dragonfly in (see above)?

>Point down like a V, and same dragonfly.

OK, then the blazon would be 'Azure, on a pile argent between two fleurs-de-lys, a drangonfly tergiant counterchanged'.

>> Which way is the bear facing? default is the the
>> left as you are looking at the shield:

>I don't think it matters.  It's a little girl (12ish) who wants a polar bear and the >parents want as simple as possible.

The blazon it as a bear and it can be drawn as a polar bear. So long as it looks like a bear, it is acceptable under the rules for emblazons. What you see has to be what the words mean. Minor artistic variations are allowable so long as they do not cause the emblazon to deviate significantly from the blazon

Hope this helps

Borek