ANSTHRLD - Re: Sophomore Heraldry

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Oct 6 09:03:27 PDT 2000

I forgot to mention: if you think there are others in your area who
might be interested in this commentary-oriented shindig, but you
aren't sure if they're on this mailing list, please let them know
about it!

A correspondent from out-of-kingdom asks:
> Don't you have a kingdom heraldic symposium?

An excellent question!  Next question please.

Printed job descriptions change from time to time, but at least at one
time Tressure Herald was responsible for seeing to it that heraldic
symposia happen, along with heraldic education in general.  Since I
became active in Ansteorra in 1994, there have been many Tressures,
but I can recall only 2 kingdom heraldic symposia, one (Rosenfeld)
shortly after I got here, and one last year (Westgate) instigated by
Mistress Hillary Greenslade, as one of the Westgate specialized events
(their "day of doing something" or whatever they call it).

There have been localized shindigs (hootenannys, even), but how many
and where I don't know.

Yes, kingdom heraldic symposia are Good Things.  I would like to see
more of them.  Actually, I'd like to seem them at all, more frequently
than once every 3 years.  *poke* Star? *poke* *poke* (Star: pokes,
like shit, should flow downhill.  Please pass them on.)

In this particular case, we want to develop more intermediate-level
heralds *and* get them to do commentary.  (How to blazon, how to do
names, how to conflict-check are necessary to make intermediate
heralds even if they don't do commentary, but we want both.)  The
problem is that we'll take all day at it, and we think the preliminary
classes are necessary to comment well.  At a symposium, there's
multiple tracks, so I would expect most people would be drawn off to
other classes for at least one of the prereqs or for the commentary
session.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)