ANSTHRLD - Award Texts in PDF format

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Oct 13 08:49:23 PDT 2000

Francois wrote:
> The reason for putting a document into a PDF format is to prevent
> changes from being made to the document.

Anyone who purchases the full Adobe software can edit a PDF file.
Though few people choose to shell out the hundreds of dollars for
that, some businesses do.  Someone with Postscript experience could
also edit it, but that knowledge is rare too.  I suspect you could
probably make simple changes with a text editor ("not" to "now", say).

The real reasons for using PDF files are that "P" stands for
"Portable", so they work on a wide variety of systems, and because
Adobe has provided free readers for them on a lot of platforms and
browsers.

The versions of Microsoft Word I'm familiar with do not read or write
PDF files.  (Not all the world is Microsoft Word.)  Go to
    <http://www.adobe.com/>
and download a free reader (or buy fuller versions if you prefer).

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)