ANSTHRLD - Award Texts in PDF format

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Oct 13 00:42:15 PDT 2000

On 13 Oct 00, at 10:49, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:
> Anyone who purchases the full Adobe software can edit a PDF file.
> Though few people choose to shell out the hundreds of dollars for
> that, some businesses do.  Someone with Postscript experience could
> also edit it, but that knowledge is rare too.  I suspect you could
> probably make simple changes with a text editor ("not" to "now", say).

As far as I know (as someone who actually owns the full Adobe software),
the PDF file *cannot* be edited IF it was saved with the security feature "do
not allow changes" turned on, and a security password set.  (Obviously if
you know the password, you can still make changes.)

Since that feature can only be turned on in Acrobat Exchange, a piece of
software most people don't have, I bet it's not set on most of our PDF
documents, so is a moot point.

(Furthermore, as for Postscript, it could possibly be done, if you knew the
encoding format Adobe uses for the actual text bits.  It is decidedly odd
looking.)

-Emma de Fetherstan

--
Jennifer Smith