ANSTHRLD - Cahira's Device

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sun Oct 22 23:42:51 PDT 2000

I've thought of a few ideas for Cahira.  These tickle *my* interest in
simple geometrics and assymmetric armory; I'll be interested to learn
what she thinks of them.  I have not conflict-checked these.

Field-only:

Barry sable and vairy purpure and Or.  This avoids sable-and-Or, uses
the most common period field of "barry" (most common for field-only in
early Anglo-Norman armory, I should say), and is moderately simple
except for the effort in doing "vairy".

Geometric charges:

Or, a bar engrailed purpure and another sable.  (Or the reverse.)  I
added "engrailed" because of the odds that a plain version would
conflict.  You do occasionally see charge groups with disparate colors
in period.

Or, two bars purpure and a canton / quarter sable.  A quarter would
tend to extend over the uppermost bar; a canton would touch only or
not even extend to it.

Or, in bend two <widgets> purpure and in bend sinister two more sable.
This is based on the arms of Antwerp, I think, where the "widgets" are
lions and the tinctures are gules and sable.  this is another period
case of disparate colors.  For "widgets", use something simple:
roundels (filled disks), annulets (rings), lozenges ("diamonds", as on
playing cards), mascles (lozenges with a lozenge-shaped hole in the
middle), rustres (lozenges with a round hole in their centers),
crosses (quite common in period, as were annulets and mascles), delfs
(squares), and other possibilities I've doubtless forgotten.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)