ANSTHRLD - Conflict Checktmcd

Cahira cahira_of_bonwicke at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 15:58:51 PDT 2000

--- "Timothy A. McDaniel" <tmcd at jump.net> wrote:
> Welcome to the College of Heralds!  "Trouble" is our
> middle name.
> OK, "of" is actually our middle name, and middle
> names are vanishingly
> rare in most period cultures.  I'm just being
> metaphorical.
> AND trouble-making.

Definitely LOL!! :-)

> ...Rouland Carre says that there is likely no CD
> between them, ...and [Roland] is a pretty good
> predictor of Laurel results.

Well, drat! :-)

> If you care, I can comment on the period usages
> concerning the set of
> tinctures you want, but we could simply work with
> the tinctures you
> stated above.

Feel free to comment on period usage. I might not use
the advice, but I would enjoy hearing it. :-)

> - Does it have to be "per pall" or "per pall
> inverted"?  They are
>   quite rare at best in period armory, if not
> utterly unknown.

No, it doesn't. I just really like black, purple, and
gold (it's the colors that I buy all of my juggling
paraphernalia in), and I was trying to figure out a
way to have each colour represented with close to the
same amount of area.

> - Do you like large blocks of color, like in "per
> pall inverted",
>   "quarterly", "per pale", and the like, or are
> stripes OK?  Stripes
>   were pretty common in period.

I prefer large blocks of color, but I won't rule out
stripes.

> - What are your views on complex lines of division?
> Do you want plain lines, or are
>   straight-line complex lines OK (embattled,
> indented), or are curved
>   lines OK (engrailed, nebuly, vairy)?

I like complex lines. As long as it's something that I
can draw by myself (or with the help of rulers, french
curves, stencils, et. al.), I'm ok with it. :-)

> If not: when doing my own armory, I drew up a chart
> of field
> divisions, complex lines, and tinctures, and marked
> all the possible
> conflicts, and found the few holes remaining.
> Perhaps such charts
> could be drawn up for "per pall" and "per pall
> inverted".

I am more attached to the colors than the divisions.
Is my cause hopeless? :-)

> Daniel "Per chevron embattled, argent and azure" de
> Lincolia,
> suddenly thinking about the possibilities of
> Mortimer

Dare I ask??

Cahira