ANSTHRLD - Conflict Checktmcd

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Oct 18 19:12:13 PDT 2000

On 18 Oct 00, at 18:50, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:
> One thing done a lot in period and not much in the SCA is "vairy".
>     <http://www04.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ta2/saitou/ie401/Jpglossv.htm#Vair>
>
> "Vair" alone is blue and white, but it wasn't at all uncommon to use
> any single color and any single metal, as in "vairy sable and Or".

I'm suddenly seized with an idea for a joint badge my husband and I have
been trying to come up with -- impaling our arms just doesn't work too well
visually...  Vairy sounds like a great field treatment (and yes, I am insane
enough to draw/paint/sew all that vair).

My question is, which is more common in period -- a fess or a bend? or a
pale?  Without digging out my shire's heraldry books to attempt a survey
myself, I'm guessing 'bend', but am entirely unsure.

-Emma de Fetherstan

--
Jennifer Smith
jds at randomgang.com