ANSTHRLD - Conflict Checktmcd

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Thu Oct 19 13:08:01 PDT 2000

Cahira <cahira_of_bonwicke at yahoo.com> wrote:
> AAAAHHHH!!! You've got to stop giving me choices!! :-)

Sometimes I yearn for the Goold Old Days in the Old Country.  You went
to the heralds and they told you what coat of arms you were going to
have.

I should ask, by the way: is "weirdness", either in period terms or
SCA usage terms, a turn-on, a turn-off, or don't-care?  (My personal
liking is to find things that are common in period but weird in the
SCA, but others differ.)

> Basically, I want something that I can draw by myself and that I can
> blazon (or at least memorize the blazon to :-) ) that uses the 3
> colors that I've picked.
>  I want no charges (like animals) that are complicated to draw.

Hokay.  Simple geometrics are OK, but we should work with field-only
first, 'cause why not?

> Would having a bend sinister (that is engrailed?) that is gold with
> black above it (to the left?) and purple below it (to the right?)
> work? That way, the two dark colors are separated by the light
> color?

I entirely agree with Darius: it's registerable, but it's "typical
SCA" / "armorial cliche" and rare in period.

Further, a "bend sinister" in most period cases was only what you saw
on the reverse side of the banner, the right side of the horse, the
arms hung on the dexter side of the altar in the chapel, or whatever
-- the real arms had just a bend.  Real bend sinisters, while not
unheard of (I think Germany had some), were rare.

> Or...I was browsing on the sca site and on this page:
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/ordinaries.html I found "a pile
> inverted."

Piles alone were pretty rare.  Three piles (on the same coat) were
actually more common.  My impression of frequencies from the early
days of heraldry were that the most common ordinary was the fess, then
the bend, then the pale.

> I'm definitely liking "engrailed."

Good choice.

> I like "vairy," but how would I work my 3rd color in there?

I was figuring that one part would be vairy and another part would
have the remaining color.

> (I don't want just black and gold...I don't want to look like an
> Ansteorran flag

Good point.  So avoid "vairy sable and Or", for example.

Purple and gold make you look like a Calontir flag, but after all,
that's much less of a problem in Ansteorra.

> See, you should never have brought [Mortimer] up because I think
> that looks just spiffy. :-) But (thankfully) it falls under the
> category of "I can't blazon it...I don't want it." :-)

So I'm twisted -- I like things that are period yet *anyone* would
have trouble blazoning!

> It's just getting worse with every post, isn't it?

Quite the contrary!  No, please continue -- I'm having fun!
- Your wishes are becoming clearer, always a help
- we're finding that you're more flexible than most, and that's a
  great help
  (gad, I hate the "I want a wolf, and a sword, and a beer mug,
  and gold and black and green and red, and a star, and ...")
- you don't mind period things
- you want something that's classic period style yet uncommon in the
  SCA (see point #2), and BYGAD! that's refreshing

I want to keep going!

> just ask all my questions at the consultation table at 3 Kings

But consult tables are rushed, and they're trying to get thru lots of
clients, and the right people may not be there, and ... The great
thing about a mailing list is that we can sit back and ponder an
answer for a while, and look things up, and *you* can mull over
possibilities rather than get caught up in a frenzy and submit
something you won't like.

Daniel de Lincolia, still mulling possibilities
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)