ANSTHRLD - Name help please

Fitzmorgan at cs.com Fitzmorgan at cs.com
Fri Sep 8 13:32:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/8/00 9:33:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kobrien at bmc.com
writes:

> Congratulations, Robert.  You have done lots of great homework here!

To be fair most of the work was done by Ld. Etiennel.  Lord Tidhg has also
been helping.  I'm just takng the work that they have done and seeing where I
can go with it.

> Ooooh...!  Lists of period examples!  The element that's usually missing
> from order name submissions!  Wow!  Hey, Robert, when you get this project
> all finished, wanna write an article about period order names?  It could be
> as simple or as complicated as you want...

    I had already been thinking along those lines.  I have an ILL request in
for the entire book, right now I just have a photocopy of a few pages from it.

> If all of the period examples of orders named for people are named for
> Saints, then the order would have to be constructed as "Order of Saint
> <name>".  If you can find examples of orders named for people who were not
> saints, then "The Order of Kendra Kenmare" may follow those patterns.

The only example I see of an order that is namd afret a person without the
"ST." is the Order of Madelaine established in France in 1614.  I see a few
that I'm not sure about such as "The Order of Aubrac" and "The Order of
Dobrin", but those may be places and not people.

> >   Can we name our order "The Order of Our Lady of Kenmare"?  It's a very
>> period pattern, and my personal favorite.

> If you have documentation for "The Order of Our Lady of <placename>", then
> this should be a registerable construction.

    I find "The Order of Our Lady of Bethlehem"  no date, and "The Order of
Our Lady of Loreto"  1587

with others such as The Order Of:

    Our Lady of the Lily,  Our Lady of the Thistle, Our Lady of Victory, Our
Lady of Graces and several others.  all in priod.

I also have a few interesting ones such as:

The Order of the Ermine and The Ear of Corn
The Order of the Defeated Dragon
The Order of the Argonauts
The Order of the Star of the Noble House
The Order of the Alliance
The Order of the Sword Bearers

    I'm looking forward to getting the whole book.

> I hope this helps.  I'll see what support I can dig up for "Kenmare" as a
> plausible period town name.  (If Magnus doesn't beat me to it.  <grin!>)

> Mari

Thank you for your help.

Robert