ANSTHRLD - Cyneric's own devices

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:10:23 PDT 2001

>Gules, a shakefork sable fimbriated [argent], overall on a pall inverted
>argent a Norse sun cross gules between three spearheads points to center
>sable, a bordure argent.

I would be more concerned about its complexity of 8
and the identifiability of that many charges than any reminder of the 60s.

Displays on banners and shields that predate 1200s
heraldry are an interest of mine, but have not had
time to do much of the needed research.  PBS has
shown versions of the flyfot and runes on Saxon shields,
gyronny fields and dragons on Viking shields,
and twisty beasties from Book of Kells on Irish shields.  They cite
no authority for it so don't know how valid their
re-enactments are.  The Franks were supposed to be
fond of a lion or an eagle.  The Welsh supposedly
used a single dragon but I have my doubts.  I have
documented that chi-rho (the Greek that looks like
a P and X) was used on shields.  As one of the earliest
symbols for Christ before the cross was widely used
it was thought to invoke divine protection in battle
by some early Christians.  It obviously would
not be used by pagan peoples.

Surviving representations of period battle
banners need to be looked at over a large
area to gain insight for an article.  Items such
as the Bayeau tapestry, illuminated manuscripts,
and gravestones provide some items.  The Byzantines
and Charlesmagnes empire should also be looked
at for such sources.
Such an article would be interesting but I haven't
seen it written anywhere.

>Or, a compass rose azure, on a chief sable a compass star Or.

I can find no conflicts with this.

That little known and misunderstood Oriental philosopher
CoN_fuSe-uS say: you should open car window before
putting head through it.

Magnus