ANSTHRLD - New device

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Apr 6 08:29:48 PDT 2001

Borek:
> Since Griffons are usually winged, wouldn't this be 'segreant'
> instead of rampant?

Table 4, "Conventional S.C.A. Default Postures", says that segreant is
the default for griffins, so the posture could even be omitted.  From
looking thru the O&A, it looks like the posture isn't omitted that
often, even after Da'ud ruled explicitly that it could be.

There are some registrations in the 1990s involving "rampant" applied
to griffins, most notably the arms of the Principality of Avacal (in
An Tir), but they tend to be early in the decade, during Da'ud and
Bruce.

"Segreant" seems to be the SCA standard, then, but I wouldn't call
"rampant" incorrect.  It's like how "griffin" seems to be preferred to
"gryphon", and "contourny" to "to sinister", yet both are correct.

Since I dislike special terms that don't provide extra information
(the special gout names and even the special roundel names), I prefer
"rampant", but obviously I'm just weird.

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)