ANSTHRLD - New device

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Apr 9 22:43:47 PDT 2001

Eirik wrote:
> Does the slot machine rule apply to groups of charges?? Just curious.

It applies only within a single group of charges, and only to the
types of each individual charge (excluding maintained charges, I
believe).

I was being loose in my terminology when I referred to "groups of
groups".  My apologies.  SCA heraldry doesn't consider a hierarchy of
groups (except as a practical matter in blazoning them so as to
arrange them right).  In the eyes of the RfS, there are charges, and
one or more charges make up a group.

Even disconnected things that might look like a charge group within a
group sometimes are considered *a charge*.  For example, consider
    Gules, two crosses of Jerusalem and a lion argent.
A "cross of Jerusalem", although it looks visually like five crosses
flying in formation, is treated in precedents as one charge.  (For
example, you can have it as a fieldless badge, even with the precedent
forbidding disconnected fieldless badges.)  There are two types of
charge here: "cross of Jerusalem" and "lion".  Other charges similarly
treated: the ermine spot and the pawprint.

In the instant case,
>     Per saltire sable and argent, in chief three mullets of six points
>     and in base three more one and two, and in fess two griffins
>     segreant addorsed, all counterchanged.
neither orientation, tincture, arrangement, or anything else but
individual charge type matter for "slot machines".  There is a single
group of primary charges, and the types of charge in that primary
charge group are "mullet of six points" and "griffin".

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)