[ANSTHRLD] Name Documentation Questions

Kate Rayburn anezka at elfsea.net
Tue Aug 14 14:45:07 PDT 2001

There are two things I have noticed which are really bugging me because
I don't know if I'm wrong or other people are wrong.  Both of these
things have shown up in recent ILOIs and I have not found a
straightforward answer for them yet.

I have seen people documenting their given name using Reaney and Wilson.
And they seem to be using that it appears in R&W with period dates to
justify it being a given name.  I do not believe this is adequate
documentation for the name to be a given name, just for a surname.  Am I
wrong?

Secondly (again using R&W since that's what I've got in front of me), I
have seen people take a variant spelling that is in the header and try
to register it although that spelling has no dates associated with it in
the listing.  For example, if someone wanted to have the name "Pleaden"
(under "Blethyn") that spelling is not given any dates or even appears
in that entry outside of the header.  Is it acceptable to use those
spelling variants even though they do not have dates? I don't think you
should be able to register them.

If I am in the wrong, please let me know and tell me why.  If I'm right,
then let me know that as well so I can be a better herald in the future.

Just trying to learn,
Anezka z Rozmitala