[ANSTHRLD] Re: Possible New Award

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Thu Aug 30 01:01:46 PDT 2001

Greetings,
     After talking with a small select group of Archers, I suppose I'll try to pass on some of thier thoughts.  Of course they don't represent all the archers but as one of the herald/archers I guess I'm the one to give them their voice.

     In general there are many common sentiments.  Most would prefer to stay away from a religious order name.  The 'sable on a fess argent a mullet of 5 and 5 between to broadheads sable' is "growing" on people.  Also 'Argent a sheaf of three broad arrows and in chief a mullet of five and five sable' is popular too.

     For an order name everything from as simple as 'Archers of the Sable Star' to 'The Order of Ansteorran Toxophiles' has been tossed about.  Toxophile is very "archery".  The word however according to the dictionary is Circa 1740.  I do kinda like the idea of Tox and Toxa for forms of Address though. <G>

The idea has been put forth of getting permission to use an existing order name in order to promote recognition throughout the Known World.  I believe it is the Order of the Grey Goose Shaft that is in two kingdoms already.  I haven't taken the time yet to explain the paper work in that. <G>

Anyway,  that's the short version from the few archers I've talked to.

Wilim
Who's not mentioning the archer that liked the "Order of the Pierced Butt" even though it does work for target and combat archery.