[ANSTHRLD] Gracia Zoephia

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 7 06:38:34 PDT 2001

R Husted wrote:

>   I have a new client who is looking at Gracia Zoephia
> She did not tell me where she found them, and I have looked everywhere I
> can think of and have not been able to find them.     Help!    I do not
> know for certain which culture she is even trying for although there was
> some discussion of Byzantine.   Any ideas would be helpful.
snip

Hi Medb!

To me, Gracia looks Spanish and Zoephia looks like a combination of Zoe
and Sophia.

Consider suggesting that she look at the following articles for
Byzantine name construction:

Personal Names of the Aristocracy in the Roman Empire During the Later
Byzantine Era - by Bardas Xiphias
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/byzantine/introduction.html

Common Names of the Aristocracy in the Roman Empire During the 6th and
7th Centuries - by Bardas Xiphias
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/byzantine/early_byz_names.html

I found neither name at those sites.  Neither did I find the names at
http://www.maridonna.com/onomastics/macedonia.htm

Now I am showing favoritism... Would she consider an Italian name?
Italy was part of Byzantium for years. <Grazia> or <Sofia> or <Zoe> can
be dated to period, but a double-given name would be late SCA period.
<Grazia> or <Zoe> or <Sofia> <Byname> would be best. <Grazia> <Sofia> or
<Grazia> <Zoe> <Surname> might work, too.

Spanish might be another choice.

YIS,

--
Andrea / Maridonna

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the
sun every year.