[ANSTHRLD] apropos of nothing...

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Wed Aug 15 06:03:34 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/13/2001 2:26:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
cahira_of_bonwicke at yahoo.com writes:

   > (and now back to your regularly scheduled heraldic stuff :-) )

Not yet!  Just have to mention a couple of books I've got from the library:

The Darwin Awards by Wendy Northcutt.  Accounts of those who have improved
the human race by removing themselves from the gene pool via an astounding
misapplication of judgment, even though capable of sound judgment, in a
verified incident. (I'm not sure the subject of Cahira's post would qualify
-- I don't agree with his values and methods but I see his point.)  Book
includes also Honorable Mentions, Urban Legends, and Personal Accounts.

Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David - looks like a wild blend of chivalry,
chicanery, and coming-of-age:
----------------------------
       They were dark and stormy knights. . . and when they had their way
with a helpless tavern wench one terrible evening, they had no idea that the
result of that twilight brutaility was going to come after them years later
looking to settle the score . . .
       The "result's" unlikely name is Apropos: A rogue, a rascal, a
scoundrel, a cheat . . . and those are his good points.  Lame of leg but fast
of wit, the only reason Apropos doesn't consider chivalry dead is because
he's not yet through with it. . . .
       Apropos, all too aware of his violent and unseemly beginnings, travels
to the court of the good King Runcible with three goals in mind: to find his
father, seek retribution, and line his own pockets.  However, Apropos carries
the most troublesome burden a would-be harbinger of chaos can bear:  He may
well be a hero foretold, a young man of destiny.

(and *now* back to your regularly scheduled heraldic stuff :-) )

Kathri