[ANSTHRLD] AEgil for Sunnrifa

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 10:42:41 PDT 2001

>I checked all the sources I have on Old English
>and the name only appears as a protheme element.
>This only documents it was part of a name not
>as a stand alone name.
>
>Magnus von Lubeck

  Yes Magnus, but it is a geographic compound alluding to a place thought to
be owned by an individual like Cerdicesford.  There is also Aylesham= Ægeles
hame; Aylesbury= Ægeles burig.
   The fact is in Old English the names are indiscriminately either put
together or put separate.  We could accept like Petresburig (Peter's bury),
but not Ægeles thærp?! :(
   If we were that hard-assed about patronyms, I would be happy. :)

Welga!
Cyniric