[ANSTHRLD] Tivar augmentation

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Sun Aug 19 22:43:09 PDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ansteorra, Queen of
> The following badge associated with this name was registered in May
> of 1980 (via Ansteorra):
> (Fieldless) A rose sable charged with a rose Or, thereon
> a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable.
> for the Ansteorran Rose
>
> Tivar Moondragon May of 1980 (via Ansteorra):
> Sable, a torteau fimbriated and conjoined in fess with
> an increscent and a decrescent Or.
>
> If he wants to use the sable and Or rose on the roundel gules there
> should be no problems.

Sable on gules?  The contrast problem is why I suggested to Tivar
replacing the central roundel with the star, forgetting that that
would change his base coat.

However, come to think on it, were he to change his central roundel to
Or (assuming no conflict with that base coat), then the rose could go
on fine.

> However if Tivar wants to used the multicolor rose charged with an
> Ansteorran star then it violates our layer limits.  This would be
> the mullet on a rose on a roundel on a sable field.

Text from the 6/01 LoAR Cover Letter:

  *  The following rule is added:

    VIII.7. Augmentations of Honor - An augmentation of honor must be
    compatible with period armorial style.

     An augmentation is an honor bestowed by the crown, taking the
     form of an addition or alteration to the honoree's device.  While
     the right to an augmentation is bestowed by the crown, its form
     is subject to the normal registration process.  The augmentation
     must itself follow the armory rules; if it has the appearance of
     being independent armory, for example a charged escutcheon or
     canton, then it is independently subject to the normal rules of
     armorial conflict.  The augmentation may, however, on a case by
     case basis break the rules in relation to the original armory.
     For example, "Sable, on a chief argent a lion passant
     maintaining, in augmentation, an escutcheon gules charged with a
     cross throughout argent" is acceptable even though it breaks RfS
     VIII.1.c.ii., Layer Limit.  "Gules, a lion argent, and in
     augmentation a canton argent charged with a tower Or" is not
     acceptable, as the augmentation internally breaks RfS VIII.2.,
     Armorial Contrast.  Since an augmentation is an earned honor, it
     may in some cases violate RfS XI.3. Marshaling or RfS XI.4. Arms
     of Pretense and Augmentations of Honor.  Arms in their augmented
     form are subject to the normal rules of conflict.

Note that one example has violation of the layer limit.  This rule is
just codifying earlier practice and precedent.  Period augmentations
sometimes were more layered than other coats -- consider poor Nelson.

To go back to the previous point: there's no example for "externally"
breaking contrast with an augmentation, but I would be astonished were
it to be allowed.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;