[ANSTHRLD] Possible new award

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Wed Aug 29 07:41:16 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/28/2001 7:37:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
dmriney at earthlink.net writes:

stop and consider if naming a Kingdom award after a Catholic Saint

or Herne or Diana or -- Ulla, was it? -- or an archer from any other mythology

while allowable would be altogether advisable

I thought about this, too.  We've hit the stumbling block labeled "Authentic
for Western Europe" on one side and "Representative of the People Who Play
SCA" on the other, similar to our old friend "authentic vs registerable."

I'd rather build the name on elements from Ansteorra mythology or archery as
a whole -- and I don't mean William Tell.  I like him, but I'm part Swiss
(both in and out of the SCA).  Even I have to admit that he's monocultural,
and if not offensive then not representative of archers from other areas.

In the case of award names, I'd like to see us be more inclusive.

Kathri