[ANSTHRLD] November 2001 ILoI comments

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 11 06:48:57 PST 2001

doug bell wrote:

> November 2001 ILoI
> Magnus von Lubeck
>
> 4) Lucia Ariosto (Bryn Gwlad)
> [Name] Lucia: De Felice, Nomi italieni, page 239 header Lucia gives it from
> the saint in Syracuse and Latin Lucius.
> Ariosto: De Felice, Nomi italieni, page 74 Ariosto lists this as a given
> name and in the cognomen Ludovico Ariosto author of Orlando Furioso.  It
> mentions it derives from the original location of a feudal family Ariosto di
> Bologna.   I can't be sure of the entire translation right now but suspect
> it can be used as a byname.

Dizionario Onomastico della Sicilia, by Girolamo Caracausi, 1994, vol.
I, page 74, s.n. Ariosto says that it is the surname of the famous poet
that goes back to the toponym Riosto near Bologna.

--
Andrea / Maridonna

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the
only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless,
unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes
needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
						FDR, 1933