[ANSTHRLD] RE: Too Late Dates for names

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:49:20 PST 2001

>About where does the 'too late' cutoff line lie?  The Middle English
>Dictionary at UMich has "timorous" dated as early as 1425.

That might help but I don't think that form of the word
is registerable.

For SCA registration 1650 is the end of the gray area
for documentation.  We prefer pre 1600 sources though.

For those interested in how names were really done in
England, surnames started being inherited in the 1400s.
The War of the Roses brought an end to the old noble
families and new ones rose to power.  Once you start
getting inherited surnames, descriptive bynames would
stop being used.  This start of inherited surnames is
usually the end of the line in tracing families back
in England as well.

To really drive the heralds nuts on a submission like
that use a late period descriptive English byname,
ask for authentic Scots Gaelic, allow minor changes
only, and include your SCA group in the name.
We really get things like that.

Since Emma asked the question we'll pick on her today.

Emma the Timid of Mooneschadowe, Emma the Timid of the Mists, and Emma the
Timid of Dragon's Laire are
registerable but please don't ask for it to be authentic.

That should get the point across better than my fiberglas
spear.

Magnus