[ANSTHRLD] conflicts?

Kristy Cook k2cook at prodigy.net
Tue Dec 18 15:46:24 PST 2001

Thank you all that is great news!
                                        Kristyan
----- Original Message -----
From: "doug bell" <magnus77840 at hotmail.com>
To: <heralds at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] conflicts?

Here is the blazon "Sable, an elephant rampant argent."

You look in the Ordinary under Beast-Elephant.
There are 40 of these beasties registered in the SCA.
We are worried about one argent elephant, one rampant
elephant, or an elephant on sable so that is what we
scan for.  Checking the Pic Dic first will tell that the
default posture for the elephant is statant - just
standing there.  We also have to worry about elephant
proper since gray is equivalent to argent for conflicts.

The items that are close are:
Elephant, Order of November of 1998 (via Laurel):
(Fieldless) An elephant contourny argent bearing on its back a tower proper.
One CD for fieldless and one for facing contourny and one
for statant vs rampant.

Donn son of Fergus March of 1994 (via Caid):
(Fieldless) An elephant contourny proper.
same as above

Tamara Silverheel September of 1995 (via the Middle):
Sable, an elephant statant between three palm trees argent.

One CD for adding the secondary palm trees and another
for statant vs rampant of the elephant.

Finn the Wanderer December of 1995 (via the East):
Quarterly gules and sable, an elephant salient Or.
(Please do not name your persona like this!)
One CD for the field and a second for tincture.
Salient (leaping) and rampant are too close for a CD.

Dùthaich Beinne Àird, Shire of September of 1997 (via the Outlands):
Per pale azure and sable, an elephant rampant argent, armed, within a laurel
wreath Or.
One CD for the field and another for adding the secondary
Laurel wreath.

So it is clear.  Submit quickly as we say to all our
clients.

Maybe this would be a good item for the Gazette.

Magnus von Lubeck