[ANSTHRLD] Help?

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Sat Dec 22 21:48:07 PST 2001

Wulfgar (incoming Herald for the Shire of Tempio) wrote:

> has anyone ever had a reference for the
> surname "Duffel", in period or not?  I believe it to be English, or
> perhaps Anglo-Irish, but have no reference(s).

     Someone else will need to help from name resources, but as a  *word*
in English the earliest cite in the OED for duffel/duffle is 1677.  Spelled
"Duffield" in that first instance, it referred to a coarse woolen cloth.

     It might still work as a byname element, though, because the word
derived from a town in Brabbant called Duffel -- between Antwerp and
Mechlin.

Your honours in dutie.

Brendan Pilgrim
http://come.to/your.pilgrim