ANSTHRLD - name question

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Feb 17 19:33:58 PST 2001

> I have a member of my populace who would like a name as closely resembling
> Joan of Caithness.

Find Joan in "Feminine Given Names in _A Dictionary of English Surnames_" at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/reaney/
with dates from 1219-1549.
Caithness is a header spelling in Black, p. 124, which dates the following
variants:
de Kethenis     1345
de Ketenis      1347
of Catnes       1377
de Ketnes       1376-86
of Ketenis      1391
Cathnes         1475
Katness         1483
Caittins        1626
of Catenesse   \
of Catnesse     all 1362
of Catnes      /

Black is on Appendix H, the no photocopies needed list, so the above information
(page number, header, spellings and dates) should work as documentation.  The
byname "of Caithness" as been registered as recently as 1999.

I checked it for conflict and found nothing.

- Teceangl
--
        The (Fieldless) is a convention which says "no, we didn't
	forget a field tincture here, there isn't any, so sod off".