ANSTHRLD - Conflict Check - shark naiant

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Feb 7 14:43:26 PST 2001

> This is a household badge. I know that affiliation badges are fieldless in
> period from watching this list, but I think the submitters' preference is
> for a silver/white shark and to include the colors blue and green in some
> manner, over period practices. I will hopefully see some of them tonight.

Hrm.  I'm seeing in my tworped and wisted little herald's head,
(Fieldless) A shark naiant argent semy of roundels azure and vert.

Colm can help with the inn sign to household name bit.  He's done a nice
study of the subject (which I've misplaced...  ARGH!).
I actually think "White Shark" might work as an inn sign, but we'd have to
make sure that "shark" is a period word and that it was applied to the
critter we know as a shark.
Okay, you'll really want an OED lookup for this, but the online Merriam
Webster at http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm dates the word "shark", meaning
the marine fish we know, to the 15th century.

I think it's acceptible.  Have you checked it for conflict yet?

- Teceangl
--
        The (Fieldless) is a convention which says "no, we didn't
	forget a field tincture here, there isn't any, so sod off".