[ANSTHRLD] Armorial usage

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 06:56:36 PDT 2001

Soundalikes are often found by someone in the CoA
who knows or remembers the conflicting name.  This
can be luck of the draw and can produce some false
alarms if you don't know the pronounciation.

I also check britannica for names to catch
presumption conflicts.

We now have conflicts something like
new name Cormac Ui Briain the client wants.
If Eoin mac Cormaic Ui Briain has already been
registered it is claiming relationship to him
and conflicts.  Try to find those in a paper
copy alphabetized by first name and you will see my
point.  Ansteorra had two such conflicts
returned this year.

In case you think this is just a Gaelic problems
look again.  This relationship claim conflict will
occur in Welsh, English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Italian,
and Russian.  German at least is free of it due
to sparseness of patronymics.  As we get more 3 element
names registered this type of conflict is becoming
more common and I am checking for it now in
commentary.  When you add unmarked patronymics
to the pot things get really subtle and nasty.

If you can find a good way to locate these items
on paper or otherwise pleast let me know.  This
is a new cause of returns that has surfaced and I
am watching to see how big a problem it will become.

Magnus von Lubeck